Monday 28 November 2011

Ryan Garbes 'Sweet Hassle'

I've recently been digging around and discovered a group called Wet Hair. Spacemen 3/Spectrum fans will really dig their keyboard drone rock styles, but it's the recently released solo album by one of their members (I think the drummer) that has got me all hot and bothered. Here's a review I wrote of it:


It's been a while since I've truely engaged with a contemporary album for any length of time. I have been listening to 'Sweet Hassle' continually since I bought it. There's something about the sepia-toned cover that seeps into the music. I hate reviewing music in the context of drugs but it's impossible not to. This album is so high. This music is so fucking high. Like if ecstasy got you high but made you feel a little hatred instead of a little love. Codeine and bourbon. The songs begin like sloppy home demos, but are layered upon and seeped with a real, tangible, edgy emotion that it ends up sounding like a new kind of rock 'n' roll. Bewitched keyboards and organs feature predominantly throughout adding a production sheen that is half twisted. I don't know what Ryan Garbes set out to do but all I do know is he's created a true modern classic of alternative rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment